Why Join UNISON
Our Unison Branch officers are available to support our members in every aspect of their everyday working life.
- This year we have successfully negotiated settlements for members leaving employment
- We have successfully overturned a number of suspensions and dismissals
- Representing and supporting members at disciplinary, grievances and ill health capability meetings
- Supporting through Consultations and Redundancy
- Represent staff issues at Joint Consultative Committee Meetings as well as consulting on Terms & Conditions and Policies
- Active in initiating and attending meetings relating to reorganisation
Being a UNISON member gives you a huge range of benefits,
Why UNISON is right for - UNISON Success stories
These are some of the bigger successes of UNISON in recent years:
- UNISON has secured more than £33 million in compensation to its members for personal injury settlements in the past year alone.
- UNISON achieved a £4million settlement of an equal-pay claim for more than 1,500 school meals workers employed by former Cleveland County Council.
- UNISON made a number of submissions to the Low Pay Commission (LPC) pushing for £6-an-hour minimum wage. As a result of UNISON’s work, the LPC is now a permanent body and its scope was widened to examine all aspects of poverty pay.
- UNISON was a key player in ensuring that government increased the value of basic state pension in real terms for the past 20 years. UNISON’s delegation to the Labour Party also successfully argued for the restoration of the link to earnings.
- UNISON is the country’s first carbon-neutral trade union thanks to its policy of reducing greenhouse emissions through its partnership with Future Forests and planting of thousands of trees across the U.K.
- UNISON has been invited by the Home Office to join the influential Police Reform Steering Forum, developing radical proposals
- UNISON helpline for members and stewards, UNISONdirect (0845 355 0845), Handled some 51,800 calls last year, a year-on-year rise of 228%.
|1||Advice, support and help when you need it at work|
|Unison have a network of trained local advisors and negotiators who will provide you with help at work when you need it most, as well as professional legal advisors and experts when appropriate.|
|2||Legal services for your family at home|
|Unison offer free initial legal advice on any matter not related to work, plus a range of other legal help for you and your family.|
|Unison offers a confidential service (and registered charity) ‘There for You’, listen and support with sorting out finances and advise on benefits. Through Unison Welfare Unison can offer grants to help with household bills, ease debts or help with the cost of a much needed break.|
|4||Helpline open until midnight|
|Unison Direct helpline is open from 6am to midnight Monday to Friday, and 9am to 4pm on Saturdays.|
|5||Compensation for accidents and injuries at work|
|Specialist lawyers are there to help if you have an accident or are injured at work and will do their best to get compensation for you.|
|6||Member discounts – including up to 50% off holidays|
|Join today and you’ll have access to a wide range of exclusive member discounts such as holidays, car and home insurance and offers which could save you up to £250 plus Thompsons Solicitors offer a free will righting service for all Unison Members.|
|7||Education, training and support|
|UNISON offers a range of courses and short workshops which can help you develop your confidence, skills and knowledge.|